ICANNWatch

- ICANN: Defending Our Precious Bodily Fluids
    - Ushering in Banality
    - ICANN! No U CANN't!
    - roving_reporter
    - DNS: A Short History and a Short Future

David Farber
    - Overcoming ICANN (PFIR statement)

A. Michael Froomkin
    - When We Say US™, We Mean It!
    - ICANN 2.0: Meet The New Boss
    - Habermas@ discourse.net: Toward a Critical Theory of Cyberspace
    - ICANN and Anti-Trust (with Mark Lemley)
    - Wrong Turn in Cyberspace: Using ICANN to Route Around the APA & the Constitution (html)
    - Form and Substance in Cyberspace
    - ICANN's "Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy"-- Causes and (Partial) Cures

Milton Mueller
    - Ruling the Root
    - Success by Default: A New Profile of Domain Name Trademark Disputes under ICANN's UDRP
    - Dancing the Quango: ICANN as International Regulatory Regime
    - Goverments and Country Names: ICANN's Transformation into an Intergovernmental Regime
    - Competing DNS Roots: Creative Destruction or Just Plain Destruction?
    - Rough Justice: A Statistical Assessment of the UDRP
    - ICANN and Internet Governance

David Post
    - Governing Cyberspace, or Where is James Madison When We Need Him?
    - The 'Unsettled Paradox': The Internet, the State, and the Consent of the Governed

Jonathan Weinberg
    - Sitefinder and Internet Governance
    - ICANN, Internet Stability, and New Top Level Domains
    - Geeks and Greeks
    - ICANN and the Problem of Legitimacy

Highlights of the ICANNWatch Archive
    (June 1999 - March 2001)

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
    .US Sunrise Begins | Log in/Create an Account | Top | 53 comments | Search Discussion
    Click this button to post a comment to this story
    The options below will change how the comments display
    Threshold:
    Check box to change your default comment view
    The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
    Re: .US Sunrise Begins
    by Anonymous on Wednesday April 24 2002, @05:21AM (#5951)
    That's pretty cool. Unfortunately, just because someone who deserves the name gets it doesn't justify the whole mess.
    Re: .US Sunrise Begins
    by Anonymous on Wednesday April 24 2002, @05:51AM (#5953)
    Interestingly, NeuStar reserved biz.us, museum.us, coop.us, pro.us, aero.us, net.us, org.us, com.us, info.us, name.us, etc, but not .web.us.
    BulkRegister FAILS to Register .US Domains...
    by Ron_Bennett on Wednesday April 24 2002, @07:17AM (#5955)
    User #3011 Info | http://www.wyomissing.com/bennett/
    Not sure if I'm the only one, but BulkRegister.com FAILED to register any .US domains that I'd pre-ordered. I eventually had to go through some other registrars to get some of the .US domains I wanted that were still available.

And sadly I'm not surprised what happened...these new TLDs have been nothing but trouble - tech glitches, policy changes, and corruption that makes the "mob" look good in comparison. Not sure what the cause was with BulkRegister, but in any event I'm glad I didn't spend any extra money on pre-registrations, etc. I'm still working to recover the funds I paid to Dotster for .BIZ applications.
    BulkRegister.com Addendum...I got some...very stra
    by Ron_Bennett on Wednesday April 24 2002, @08:01AM (#5957)
    User #3011 Info | http://www.wyomissing.com/bennett/
    I just checked in my BulkRegister.com account and I see I got some .US domains that I preordered, but not many others.

It appears that BulkRegister had some technical glitches during submission of some .US applications since I got many emails from BulkRegister saying my .US domain apps were sent to the .US registry but were rejected. And yet I was able to register many of the same .US domains manually through another registrar afterwards.

Anyways, I feel a little better knowing that I least got a few .US domains through BulkRegister...still though I lost a lot of .US domains in the process.
    Re: .US Sunrise Begins
    by Anonymous on Wednesday April 24 2002, @08:06AM (#5958)
    Keep in mind the difference between the sunrise and the landrush.
    Re: web.us means nothing
    by Anonymous on Wednesday April 24 2002, @09:37AM (#5960)
    Web.us is registered based on a trademark. Usually this kind of domain names are sujected to less manipulation.

During pre-registration (pandrush), we tried to register the most popular domain names (more than 300) through tucows, none of single worded domain names (most of them are )is granted to us.
    Re: .US Sunrise Begins
    by Anonymous on Wednesday April 24 2002, @01:01PM (#5964)
    IOD? They still around? Too bad about all those .WEB speculators taking it up the fanny. Heh heh heh.

Based on the comical releases of .info and .biz, I don't think any more TLDs will be released for years.
    Throw another strong domain like .US into the mix, and you might come to the conclusion that Chris Ambler may resemble Rip Van Winkle before IOD is allowed into the root.
    Re: .US Sunrise Begins
    by chong67 on Wednesday April 24 2002, @03:42PM (#5969)
    User #3331 Info
    Its almost 1 day and yet I have not received any information for 8 of the registrars that I got the .us domain that I want.

How long does it take?

thanks!
    Re: .US Sunrise Begins
    by dtobias (dan@tobias.name) on Thursday April 25 2002, @03:58AM (#5974)
    User #2967 Info | http://domains.dan.info/
    I tried to get screwed.us (and a few others of this sort) for use in creating subdomain addresses for protest sites, like Neustar.screwed.us or ICANN.screwed.us, but didn't manage to get any of them.
    Re: .US Sunrise Begins
    by dtobias (dan@tobias.name) on Thursday April 25 2002, @05:24AM (#5977)
    User #2967 Info | http://domains.dan.info/
    Well, I think the fact that somebody can get a trademark on something as generic as .web, and then use it to get first shot at this as a .us domain, is a sign of how ridiculous the intellectual property system has gotten, but I do agree that it's better that those guys got .web.us instead of the various hangers-on who got most of the good names -- at least, they'll probably actually use it, perhaps to let all their current .web registrants have .web.us, though that wouldn't be very acceptable to non-U.S. registrants.
    Re: .US Sunrise Begins
    by Anonymous on Thursday April 25 2002, @12:53PM (#5992)
    Yeah, they can put it to good use ... in Fantasyland. They failed, miserably, then went crying: "Wah wah wah, wah wah wah, somebody please help me ...".

They didn't have it together enough to paint the picture Daisy-Mae Dyson and Vint Surf's-Up rendered of a top-notch registry. Dyson & Cerf were obviously dead wrong in their judgements, along with the rest of the sit-on-your-ass-and-do-nothing Directors.

No accountability. But IOD didn't shell out the bucks for top notch, vociferous advocates who should have mercilessly greased the wheels that needed greasing. IOD should have given a piece of the pie to a player ICANN respected.

Half a pie is better than no pie at all. And right now, there is no pie.

Re: .US Sunrise Begins
    by dtobias (dan@tobias.name) on Thursday April 25 2002, @05:18PM (#6005)
    User #2967 Info | http://domains.dan.info/
    I notice that toys-r.us has been registered, and apparently not to the famous toy store chain. Since they're vigorous about challenging or suing anybody who comes close to infringing on their "R-Us" names, you can expect this one to receive some sort of legal attack. Right now it just goes to a GoDaddy parked domain page.

Search ICANNWatch.org:

Privacy Policy: We will not knowingly give out your personal data -- other than identifying your postings in the way you direct by setting your configuration options -- without a court order. All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 by ICANNWatch.Org. This web site was made with Slashcode, a web portal system written in perl. Slashcode is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
    You can syndicate our headlines in .rdf, .rss, or .xml. Domain registration services donated by DomainRegistry.com