ICANNWatch

- ICANN: Defending Our Precious Bodily Fluids
    - Ushering in Banality
    - ICANN! No U CANN't!
    - roving_reporter
    - DNS: A Short History and a Short Future

David Farber
    - Overcoming ICANN (PFIR statement)

A. Michael Froomkin
    - When We Say US™, We Mean It!
    - ICANN 2.0: Meet The New Boss
    - Habermas@ discourse.net: Toward a Critical Theory of Cyberspace
    - ICANN and Anti-Trust (with Mark Lemley)
    - Wrong Turn in Cyberspace: Using ICANN to Route Around the APA & the Constitution (html)
    - Form and Substance in Cyberspace
    - ICANN's "Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy"-- Causes and (Partial) Cures

Milton Mueller
    - Ruling the Root
    - Success by Default: A New Profile of Domain Name Trademark Disputes under ICANN's UDRP
    - Dancing the Quango: ICANN as International Regulatory Regime
    - Goverments and Country Names: ICANN's Transformation into an Intergovernmental Regime
    - Competing DNS Roots: Creative Destruction or Just Plain Destruction?
    - Rough Justice: A Statistical Assessment of the UDRP
    - ICANN and Internet Governance

David Post
    - Governing Cyberspace, or Where is James Madison When We Need Him?
    - The 'Unsettled Paradox': The Internet, the State, and the Consent of the Governed

Jonathan Weinberg
    - Sitefinder and Internet Governance
    - ICANN, Internet Stability, and New Top Level Domains
    - Geeks and Greeks
    - ICANN and the Problem of Legitimacy

Highlights of the ICANNWatch Archive
    (June 1999 - March 2001)

This discussion has been archived. No new comments can be posted.
    A Congressional Vote of No Confidence for ICANN | Log in/Create an Account | Top | 29 comments | Search Discussion
    Click this button to post a comment to this story
    The options below will change how the comments display
    Threshold:
    Check box to change your default comment view
    The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.
    Kudos to Steve Metalitz
    by GeorgeK on Thursday February 05 2004, @07:47PM (#12932)
    User #3191 Info | http://www.kirikos.com/
    Great work, getting the WHOIS accuracy issue in the spotlight. We've seen this issue debated on mailing lists for ages, and I'm happy to see things go this way. It encourages responsible behaviour having the ownership data in plain view.

If someone valued their "privacy" at infinity, they can and should rationally spend the extra $4 or so for a "Domains by Proxy" type solution that GoDaddy and others offer. Someone who doesn't want to go for that solution is telling the world that they value their privacy at below $4, and thus can't argue in good faith that it's a major issue to them. Having anonymous/fake WHOIS shifts the legal burdens and costs to victims, and away from the abusers.

If the benefits of private/anonymous registrations are so enormous, reducing those benefits by $4 won't hurt the registrants overall.
    .dk
    by yggdrazil on Friday February 06 2004, @05:55AM (#12938)
    User #3293 Info
    The .dk registry, DK Hostmaster, sends a letter by postal mail to the legal contact of each and every new .dk domain name, containing a PIN number that has to be entered at their web site in order to activate the domain.

Alas, domains with bogus postal addresses don't get activated anymore under .dk
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
    More FOISA coverage
    by fnord (groy2kNO@SPAMyahoo.com) on Monday February 09 2004, @07:26AM (#12958)
    User #2810 Info
    From WiReD [wired.com], and Declan McCullagh has, not surprisingly, the best coverage yet on CNET [com.com].-g
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
    More on FOISA
    by fnord (groy2kNO@SPAMyahoo.com) on Wednesday February 11 2004, @11:45PM (#12968)
    User #2810 Info
    Rod Dixon opines at CircleID [circleid.com]. He doesn't like FOISA much either.

Note to Editors, how about adding CircleID (which speaks XML) to the right column? -g

Re: whois accuracy, US House Subcommittee
    by fnord (groy2kNO@SPAMyahoo.com) on Thursday February 05 2004, @06:04PM (#12931)
    User #2810 Info
    You are mixing apples and oranges (as are the US Congress and ICANN, so at least you're in * company). WHOIS goes back to when it was critical to have offline or alternative online access to a node if it failed. Currently if my-kewl-widgets.com goes dark it matters not a whit to anyone but me and my customers. Even by the most conservative estimate a large majority of registered domain names essentially lead to dead-ends insofar as the functioning of the DNS (which is perhaps ICANN's proper perview, and certainly not that of the USG) is concerned.

If you want to buy widgets from me and want to ensure that I am who I say I am, WHOIS is not the way to do it. I can enter the same information there that I publish on my website and it will be equally accurate, or false. You would be better off to see what contact info is on my site and then check it via various free online yellow pages. That could be fake too, but at least I had the decency to actually purchase a real phone number, and you can actually try to phone it.

If I really want to sell widgets and be trusted I can get a MicroSoft or similar Certificate for my site, I can otherwise attempt to prove my identity via various means, or I will lose your business to amazon.com whom you presumably trust, and whom has no doubt by now started selling widgets alongside their garden furniture (JUST IN: neon watering gnomes).

I've sold all manner of things (sorry, widgets are on backorder) online for more than a decade accepting all major credit cards (and should you be waylaid most all of them indemnify you 100% financially against online fraud, and I'll lose my merchant account, so don't sweat the small stuff) and I don't use accurate WHOIS info. I have never had a sense that this has hurt me financially and I doubt the current bill will make any dent in that whatsoever. BTW, the UK has quite consistently been my third largest source of customers, I can give you a Bank of England account number for deposit should you wish to pay by that method, and I still don't have a VAT number.

Using WHOIS as a commercial identity verification system is putting a square peg into a round hole and even the USG doesn't have that big of a hammer (never mind that they're trying to crush a flea).

And please explain how Rick Wesson and other registrars are going to do all this verification for nothing. They just want to sell anonymizers (no doubt soon to be available at amazon.com). -g

Re: whois accuracy, US House Subcommittee
    by KarlAuerbach on Friday February 06 2004, @03:20PM (#12946)
    User #3243 Info | http://www.cavebear.com/
    As a consumer I too try to avoid network based vendors who do not adequately reveal their contact information.

That revealation ought to be, however, a voluntary act by the vendor, not something forced upon it (and every other domain name purchasor.)

While I thought that Rick's testimony could have used at least one more proofreading, I am personally quite familiar with the rush and pressure under which those kinds of things are written.

As far as Rick's product ideas go - Were I a vendor of products on the net (and let's assume that I'm a good vendor who has published my own contact information), it does seem to me to be "a good thing" to have tools that check up on those to whom I am granting credit. (And yes, by accepting a credit card I am granting credit - the banks require that I put my own assets on the line to cover many aspects of bad transactions.)
    Re:Why is this debate happening?
    by fnord (groy2kNO@SPAMyahoo.com) on Friday February 06 2004, @05:23PM (#12947)
    User #2810 Info

Read the rest of this comment...

Re: whois accuracy, US House Subcommittee
    by Mueller ({mueller} {at} {syr.edu}) on Saturday February 07 2004, @11:40AM (#12950)
    User #2901 Info | http://istweb.syr.edu/~mueller/

This comment is confused. Identification information can be put up by businesses, and it can even be required by law, as it already is in some jurisidctions. But that is a requirement that applies to BUSINESSES, and the contact information can be on the WEBSITE, not WHOIS. Not all registrants of domain names are businesses. Not all are even operators of web sites.
    • 1 reply beneath your current threshold.
  • 3 replies beneath your current threshold.

• Search ICANNWatch.org:

Privacy Policy: We will not knowingly give out your personal data -- other than identifying your postings in the way you direct by setting your configuration options -- without a court order. All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 by ICANNWatch.Org. This web site was made with Slashcode, a web portal system written in perl. Slashcode is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
    You can syndicate our headlines in .rdf, .rss, or .xml. Domain registration services donated by DomainRegistry.com